Here goes one more recipe from Karela :). My mom makes chana dal karela especially for us. Growing up as a kid I never tasted the bharwa karela. We used to eat only chana dal karela by leaving the karela pieces out in a plate :) but eventually got used to the flavor of Karela. Also this dish is a good way to start eating karela for all people out there who dislike karela's
3-4 Karela, skinned and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1/2 cup of chana dal, washed and soaked in water for 2-3 hours
2 tsp of tamarind pulp/paste
5-6 cloves of garlic, chopped into small pieces (alternatively you can use garlic paste)
2 tsp red chilli powder
11/2 tsp dhaniya powder
1/4 tsp tumeric powder
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
Pinch of hing
3 tbsp oil
Few curry leaves
Salt to taste
Coriander for garnish (Optional)
1 cup of water
How I Prepare
1. Sprinkle some salt on the cut pieces of karela and add some water and keep it aside, for 20-30 minutes. You can skip this step if you don't mind the bitterness.
2. Heat up the oil in a pan, add hing, jeera/cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves. Allow mustard seeds to splutter. Then add chopped garlic pieces and saute for few seconds.
3. Lower the flame, add tumeric powder, red chilli powder, dhaniya powder, salt as per taster and little water. Mix everything up and allow masala to cook for 2-3 minutes.
4.Add tamarind paste, soaked chana dal and cook it for few more minutes with lid closed.
5.Squeeze water out of karela and add it to above mix. Add more water as required. Chana dal will need water to cook.
6. Allow the curry to cook for 15-20 minutes. Stir it occasionally until dal and karela are cooked.
7. Garnish with coriander and serve it with roti's
1. If you forgot to soak the dal in advance then boil the dal in microwave for 4-5 minutes.
2. Don't add all the water at once, add it as you need it. This gravy is supposed to be dry