Yes you read it right, Chivda from cereals :). A healthy and great substitute to our regular traditional poha or deep fried corn Chivda. This recipe is simple, quick and easy to make. This was introduced to me by our babysitter (Asha Ben)
1 bag of Corn flakes
1/2 bag Rice Krispies
1/2 cup fine Potato Sticks
1/2 cup Peanuts
1/2 cup Roasted Chana Dal (Phutana)
4-5 tablespoons oil
Pinch of asafoetida (hing)
2-3 green chilli chopped into 1/4 inch pieces (increase it if u like Chivda to be more spicy)
About 10-15 curry leaves
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 spoon red chili powder
Salt as per taste
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
1/4 teaspoon Citric Acid (nimboo sat)
How I Prepare
1. Heat the oil in a wide saucepan over medium high heat. Once hot add hing, green chili, curry leaves and stir it for few seconds. Add peanuts and roasted chana dal and fry it on low flame until the peanuts are golden brown.
2. Now add chili powder, turmeric, and salt. Mix it well on low flame.
3. Add Rice Krispies cereal, corn flakes and potato sticks and stir the mixture gently, mix it well. Turn off the heat once cereals are warm enough.
4. Allow the Chivda to cool at room temperature before serving.
5. Store the Chivda in airtight container for several days. It stays fresh and crispy. It is a good evening time snack with tea or coffee.
P.S I made it less spicier so that my 14 months old toddler also can eat it. Just make sure to remove the chilies before giving it to kids.