Puffed rice also known as Mumra/Murmure in North India and in Kannada we call it Kalle Puri or just Puri. Most commonly used for making Bhelpuri chat and spicy mumra/puri mix. Kalle puri upittu also known as upma is more popular in north Karnataka. I generally make it for my weekend breakfast its light and easy to make.
This dish was introduced to me by my hubby.
4-5 cups of puffed rice
1 large onion chopped into small pieces
4-5 green chilies cut into halves
1 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Few curry leaves
Coriander leaves finely chopped
3-4 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
Water for soaking puffed rice
Chutney powder (optional)
How I Prepare
1. In a large saute pan, add oil and heat it up. Add mustard seeds, urad dal and saute it until dal is golden brown in color.Add green chilies, curry leaves and onions. Cook it until onion is translucent.
2. While onion is cooking, put the puri in strainer/pasta strainer and run it under the water in your sink. Make sure all the puri are getting soaked in water. If required toss the puri's with your hand couple of times when running under water.
3. Drain the water completely.
4. Add turmeric powder, salt to the onion mix. Lower the flame and add the wet puri's now and mix it nicely.
5. Close the pan lid and allow it to cook for few more minutes.
6. Switch off the stove, squeeze the lemon juice to above mix and chopped coriander leaves and mix it
7. Serve it hot by sprinkling chutney powder. Yum Yum!!!!