Akki rotti is a made using rice flour and is served during breakfast or evening snack item. This dish is unique to state of Karnataka. The preparation of akki rotti is similar to ragi rotti which I posted a while back. I use the same technique as ragi rotti, spreading the dough directly on the cool pan and then cooking the rotti.
2 cups of rice flour
1 large onion finely chopped
3-4 green chilies finely chopped (add more for more spice)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
Few strings of coriander finely chopped
Few curry leaves roughly torn (optional)
Few teaspoon of grated coconut (optional)
Salt as per taste
Oil to spread on rotti
1 cup of Luke warm water
How I Prepare
1. In a bowl add all the above ingredients expect water and oil. Mix everything nicely few times with your hands. This helps in release the onion water and releasing its flavor in flour.
2. Add water slowly and knead the mix into a dough. The dough should not be too hard.
3. Divide the dough into small portions.
4. Take a pan, spread little oil into it. Place the dough and start spreading into a thin circle.
5. Place the pan on the stove and cook into medium heat.
6. Once one side is little cooked, turn the roti using spatula and cook other side by applying little oil.
7. Once the other side is cooked, spread oil on turn it again. Oil should be applied both the sides
8. Cook the rotti until it turns into light golden brown color.
9. Serve hot with some chutney or pickle. I served with my garlic chutney/curry. It was awesome
1. You can add few teaspoon of chopped dill leaves known as sabbsige soppu in kannada and Suva in hindi.