1. Whole Baby lentils (Masoor Matki) - 1 cup
2. 1/2 onion cut into small pieces
3. 1/2 cup carrot cut into small pieces
4. 1 small tomato cut into small pieces
5. 2 cloves garlic, minced
6. 1 bay leaf
7. 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds powder
8. 1/4 teaspoon pepper powder
9. 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
9. 4 cups of water (Or can also use vegetable broth)
11. 2 teaspoon oil (I use olive oil)
10. Coriander for garnish
11. Salt to taste
How I Prepare
1. Wash the baby lentil with cold water.
2. In a cook pot add oil and heat it up. Once the oil is hot enough add bay leaf, followed by minced garlic. Saute it for 1 minute or until garlic raw smell is gone.
3. Add onion and saute until its transparent.
4. Add tomato and carrot. Saute it for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add cumin, chilli powder, pepper powder, lentil and saute it for few minutes. Add water and salt.
6. Once the soup starts boiling, lower the flame and let it cook for 25-30 minutes covered. Stir it once in 10 minutes and try to mash the lentil.
7. Cook until the lentils are soft and gravy is of soup consistency.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it hot.
While stirring the soup make sure to mash few lentil with a spatula. This will make the soup liquid thick and consistency of the soup will be good.