1. 2 Beets medium sized
2. 1 whole red chilli
3. 3-4 green chilli cut into small piece
4. Few curry leaves
5. 1 teaspoon of urad dal
6. 1/4 spoon Asafoetida (Hing)
7. 2 teaspoon of shredded coconut (I used frozen)
8. 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds (Rai in hindi and sasive in Kannada)
9. Few strings of coriander finely chopped
10. Oil for tadka (2-3 teaspoon)
11. Salt to taste
How I Prepare
1. Remove the beets skin and cut into 1/2 thin inch small pieces.
2. In a saute pan add oil. Once hot add asafoetida, mustard seeds. Allow the mustard seeds to splutter . Then add urad dal, red chilli (cut into half) and curry leaves and saute until the urad dal turns into golden brown color.
3. Add green chillies and beets and saute it for few minutes. Add salt as per taste and close the lid and allow it to cook until beets are tender. Stir it occasionally.
4. Turn the stove off. Garnish the curry with coriander and coconut and mix it once.
5. Serve it hot with roti or rice.
1. Add little water while cooking if required. Beets should get cooked with the moisture of itself. Closing the lid helps to retain the moisture.