1. 1 cup dry yellow peas, soaked for 4-5 hours or overnight.
2. Small medium size onions finely chopped
3. Small ripe tomato chopped in small pieces
4. 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder
5. 1/2 teaspoon black salt
6. 1/2 teaspoon amchur powder
6. 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
7. 2 cloves
8. 2 bay leaves
9. Salt to taste
10. 3-4 green chilli paste (add more for spice)
11. Tamarind chutney (I used home made)
12. Green chutney (I used home made)
13. Corainder leaves for garnish
14. Chat masala
15. Lastly have some pani puri's or flat sev puri (ready or homemade)
How I Prepare
- Pressure cook soaked peas with cloves, bay leaves, little salt with 2 cups of water. Let it cook for 3-4 whistles. If peas are not well cooked , cook it for couple of more whistles or until they are mushy.
- To the pressure cooked peas, add cumin powder, black salt, green chilli paste, black pepper powder, amchur powder and boil for 2-3 minutes. Add more water if required. By now the peas should be in semi solid state (few peas smashed and some whole)
- Taste the above gravy and adjust salt and spice accordingly.
- Take a bowl, crush few puris. I usally take 3-4 per bowl.
- Add 2-3 spoons of cooked peas mixture.
- Top it with onions, tomatoes, coriander, green chutney, tamarind chutney and sprinkle some chat masala and its ready to eat :)
1. If cooked peas is watery, mix one teaspoon of roasted dalia powder with little water and add it to the gravy and boil for 2-3 minutes. Gravy will become thick.